- Ask yourself who, what, when, where, why, and how when reading for content. Does the text answer all the questions you think it should?
- Highlight the sentences that best answer these questions, just so you can see if the facts flow in logical order.
- Do the math, do the math, and then do the math again. Somewhere between the screen and the printer 2+2 often becomes 3.
- Make a list of “bugaboo” words and do a search for them before final proof. Include every swear word, words related to product terminology, and other words that pop up on occasion. Then do a “find” for all these words.
- Actually do every step in procedures to make sure they are complete, accurate, and in correct order.
- Count the number of steps a list promises to make sure they are all there.
- Check that figure numbers match their references in the text and are sequential.
Check that illustrations, pictographs, and models are right-side up.