AIP Publishing declared to remove publication page charges and color charges from all organisation’s’ journals on effect from January 1, 2018. The journals include Physics of Plasmas, Review of Scientific Instruments, and 10 other well-known peer-reviewed physical science titles. This initiative is taken to eliminate the charges barriers and facilitate emerging shifts in scholarly communication.
Statistics: It is a branch of mathematics that deals with the collection of data, its analysis, interpretation, presentation and sequential organization. In simple terms, it deals with philosophy, logic, and expression of data.
Who does the statistical review?
Statistical review is basically done by the expert statisticians or authors and journal editors with statistical knowledge. It comprises of statistical and even methodological questions that are to be answered by the author or even the journal editors that are put forward by the reviewer.
Role of the statistical reviewers:
- The statistical reviewers find out the possible statistical error sources in the manuscript, in turn increasing the statistical accuracy of the paper as well as ensuring quicker publication of the manuscript.
- All forms of statistical data checking is performed by the statistical reviewers like checking the missing data, checking whether correct statistical methods were followed or not, checking whether the statistical methods were used appropriately or not, checking for statistical errors like error in level of significance during analysis of the data, checking whether appropriate name of the statistical package is mentioned or not along with the version used, checking whether the measurable units are properly mentioned or not, checking whether the tables and figures displayed in the manuscript hold a proper self-explanatory footnote or not, and so on.
- They ensure proper statistical presentation of data throughout the manuscript; proper use of statistical language is also ensured by the reviewer in the data presentation section.
- The reviewer also checks whether the conclusion section in the manuscript is justified or not with regard to the presented data.
- They also cross check the feasibility of the discussion section based on the results.
Significance of statistical review:
- If there is any kind of major statistical errors found in the data presentation section, then it may lead to the rejection of the research paper. So, reviewing of the statistical data and its proper presentation is of utmost importance for the author. The frequent statistical problems in the manuscript are found in data interpretation and presentation, its analysis and the study design.
- Sound statistics is the foundation to high-quality research work interpreting quantitative studies.