If your topic involves interpreting a scientific development or process to a non-specialist audience, simplify and analyze the topic in your own mind by brainstorming as many statements as possible under these categories:
- Existence: How can the existence of X be shown?
- Quantity: How large/small is X? How fast?
- Comparison: Is X greater/less than Y? In what ways is X different from Y?
- Correlation: Does the speed of X vary with its weight?
- Causality: If X occurs, will Y also occur? How do we know?